Development Seed is a mission-driven organization that believes in harnessing the power of Earth observation data to enable decision-makers to solve some of the world’s most critical challenges. We are leading advancements in fields such as machine learning and cloud infrastructure engineering to better enable our partners to address things like vulnerable housing susceptible to climate change or better understand hurricane intensity and wind speed changes in real-time for better disaster preparedness.
Development Seed is uniquely set up with a distributed team of remote staff and satellite offices around the world, but the heart of operations is based in our Washington, D.C. Headquarters. We are looking for an Operations and Accounting Coordinator to help Development Seed successfully execute our daily operations and ensure the team is equipped to deliver well for our partners. The Operations and Accounting Coordinator is a process-driven “roll up your sleeves” role responsible for maintaining and supporting a productive, efficient and happy working environment.
This role implements improvements in the daily operations of the office, promotes our company culture, oversees administrative processes and provides general HR administration, accounting, recruiting, and event support, including light administrative support to the Lisbon office. This role is based out of our Washington, D.C. office.
You are a self-starter with a “get the job done” attitude, have enthusiasm for tasks big or small, and are a problem-solver who can offer innovative solutions to how we manage processes.
Specifically, you are:
- highly organized and able to juggle several tasks at once through thoughtful prioritization
- flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of a small team and willing to step in where needed
- process-oriented and consider yourself a master of details
- forward-looking and anticipate how to improve the systems and processes in place
- a strong communicator capable of both in-person and async communications
You ideally have experience:
- using financial and team collaboration/management software (ie Quickbooks, bank feeds, G-Suite, GitHub, Slack, etc)
- creating basic spreadsheets and some schooling or experience in accounting or administration
- working in small fast moving teams
- coordinating and scheduling across multiple time zones
We are looking for a team member to perform:
- Administrative support – this will change on a daily basis but could be anything from scheduling interviews and supporting travel for prospective candidates and team members, to supporting team meetings and events
- Facilities support – our team relies on a secure, healthy and enjoyable place to work; this means managing office supplies and stocking up on the things that get our team through the day, handling incoming/outgoing packages, collaborating with firm and building facilities management companies for all of our office locations
- Financial support – we are a small, agile company with several partner contracts to manage; these responsibilities will help our Finance Lead manage accounts receivable analysis and billing responsibilities, merchant card activity, cost control and expense monitoring
As a Development Seed team member, you:
- Respect — We are a diverse team spread across the globe. You value other’s perspective, voice, and ideas. You treat everyone with dignity and professionalism.
- Collaborate — Working as a team makes us stronger, and you communicate effectively on Slack, over email, and in-person, and know when to use each.
- Learn — We constantly iterate how we handle processes across the organization. You need to demonstrate you’re able and excited to learn new ways of doing things, but you also know that sometimes keeping it simple works best. Care about the world and believe that we can do better — Social change is the foundation of everything we do. You are impatient about solving the world’s toughest challenges.
Not sure you tick all the boxes? We encourage you to apply. We have a culture of learning, and if this job description sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you.
Development Seed embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Take DevSeed to the next level of global impact.